our visitors say
“Magnificent job of restoration. Extremely gratifying to
see Cadhay in such an excellent state.” Timothy Bartel (direct
descendant of John Haydon) 28/12/05
“The courtyard ….. with
statues of Henry VIII and his three monarch offspring, Edward, Mary and Elizabeth… is one of the treasures of Devon.“ Sir Simon Jenkins, England’s Thousand Best Houses
Cadhay, an historic Elizabethan
manor of special architectural interest in the rural landscape of
was built by John Haydon in 1550 on the site of an earlier house.
His nephew Robert built the Long Gallery, a feature of late 16th
century housebuilding, closing in the south side of the house to
form a courtyard that became known as the Court of the Sovereigns
because of the four statues of Henry VIII, Edward VI, Mary and Elizabeth
that stand over the doors.
Robert was married to Joan, the daughter of Sir Amias Poulett, Privy
Councillor, former ambassador to France and Keeper of Mary Queen
of Scots during her imprisonment.
By 1737 the house was in a poor state of repair and the new owner,
Peere Williams, restored the house in the style of that period. He
plastered up most of the Tudor hearths and panelled a number of the
rooms. He inserted a lower ceiling in the Great Hall under the magnificent
timbered roof to form the current dining room and upstairs Roof
Being a large house, there were times in the 18th and 19th centuries
when Cadhay was divided into two. It again fell into a bad state
It was bought by Dampier Whetham in 1910 who uncovered the old Tudor
hearths and put the house into sound structural condition.
He let the house to the William-Powletts who bought the property
in 1935, and the Powletts have occupied it ever since. The curent
owner is furniture maker Rupert
a direct descendent of the Pouletts whose coat of arms appear above
the fireplaces. Over
the past decade, he has restored Cadhay to its previous splendour.